I've been working with Representative Dan Burke (D-Chicago) on a bill to ban the use of lindane (a toxic pesticide that can kill you) for use in lice or scabies treatments. Although a few dozen countries have banned the toxic chemical, we still let people put it on their kids' scalps in this nation. And, by the way, it poisons the water at something like 6 million gallons per regular use flushed down the drain. Drink up! To lindane!
The bill is HB 1362. It's here. I heard today the Medical Society will come out against the bill because a few doctors say that it is the only thing that works for some patients. Well, DDT would probably work as another pesticide to kill lice, but that's not such a smart idea. Neither is lindane (in my view). Check out www.ilga.gov to see what happens, and check out www.lindane.org for details on this nasty little chemical.