Friday, February 13, 2004

Chicago schools losing students. . . .that's not good.

This article in the Chicago Tribune details the $200 million deficit the Chicago Public Schools face, attributed largely to losing lots of students.

16,000 elementary students gone since 2002.

That's not good.

With the city population essentially flat (or slightly rising) since 2002, that means that people are choosing to send their kids to private school or they are moving into the burbs when their kids turn 4 or 5.

And that's not something that is sustainable for the City of Chicago, long term, I think.

I don't think there are easy answers on how to make elementary schools better, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Maybe I should join the local school council in my neighborhood. Heck, maybe you should too. We've all got to invest in our public schools, right? Here's the info:

No comments: