Friday, October 03, 2003

Passed the Illinois bar and progressive/liberal

I found out this afternoon I passed the Illinois bar so November 6th I should receive my law license. Now if I can just figure out a way to practice part-time, represent clients I respect, advance legal principles I belive in and make a decent living. . . .

I read a piece in Mother Jones (not on the web for non-subscribers) on how the word 'progressive' is not nearly as meaningful as 'liberal' to most voters. Describing ourselves and our candidates as progressive just alienates our natural allies that benefit from wage-raising policies, as they know what 'liberal' and 'conservative' mean but not 'progressive' or 'reactionary.'

There's something to that. When I walk a precinct or pitch a candidate to a stranger, I usually switch to 'liberal' instead of 'progressive.' So maybe I need to chance the name of my website from progressive politics to liberal politics. . . . Your thoughts are appreciated. midwestdemocracy@yahoo.com

No comments: