Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Rumsfeld sued in German court over Abu Ghraib rights violations

I like this.

Lawyers in Berlin and New York that represent some Iraqi detainees who were tortured by people who work for the United States government have sued Donald Rumsfeld, the Secretary of Defense, seeking a criminal investigation into the atrocities.

Germany has 'universal jurisdiction' in their federal laws, which means that for a small group of the worst crimes (genocide, torture, mass rape), anyone -- not just German citizens -- can sue the alleged perpetrator of these horrible crimes.

When some of my employees (as a citizen and a taxpayer, those soliders and mercenaries who allegedly tortured Iraqi detainees are my employees) commit horrible crimes, I want them prosecuted. If some of my executives like Rumsfeld authorized or directed those crimes, I want him prosecuted.

The article from a German paper (translated into English) is here, courtesy of a neat site called www.truthout.org


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unrelated to this post, but about your new format:

1. The use of "capitol" should be "capital" in your sub-headline.

2. Your links got shoved to the bottom.

Dan Johnson said...

Thanks. Fixed the capitol/capital mistake. I don't know what happened to the links. I'll try to fix it.